North Peace Secondary School9304 86 St Fort St John, BC V1J 6L9 Phone 250-785-4429 Fax 250-785-4687
Congratulations to the following NPSS students who went to the Skills Canada competitions last week:
|Auto Service (Jan. 13th)||Needham||Jermey||Gold|
|Robotics Team 1||Paradis||Zach||Gold|
|Robotics Team 1||Glenn||Zach||Gold|
|Robotics Team 1||Page||Nicholas||Gold|
|Robotics Team 1||Loewen||Jeridyn||Gold|
|Robotics Team 2||Chevalier||Brianna||Silver|
|Robotics Team 2||Chevalier||Madison||Silver|
|Robotics Team 2||Taylor||Bailey||Silver|
|Robotics Team 2||Bernardin||Camryn||Silver|
|Job Interview||(ELC) Kindrat||Connor||Silver|
|Electrician (Post Sec)||McMullin||Robbie||Silver|
AVID is an elective for grade 10 and 11 students. Students will prepare for their post-secondary experience by working on skills and visiting different campuses in the spring. The focus is on collaboration, writing, reading and inquiry. Organization is also a key element for AVID. Students participate in weekly tutorials where time is provided to work on their other courses. AVID also promotes student leadership through events like Relay for Life, snow shovelling for seniors, bake sales, Pitch in Day and Link Crew. Mr. Redford, Ms. Harrison, and Mr. Graham will be coming around to classes next week with more information.
Mr. Churchill’s Physics 12 class has been having lots of fun these days! Check out their cool video (and in slow motion too!!!). They didn’t get to practice…and they had only one attempt!!! So cool!!
Another great weekend for our NPSS athletes…
- Sr. Girls Basketball team won the Consolation Final at the Scona Classic in Edmonton defeating Bert Church 66-51.
- Sr. Boys Basketball team finished 7th at the Scona Classic in Edmonton defeating Bert Church 79-66.
- Jr. Girls Basketball team won the regional playoffs hosted by Dr. Kearney. (attached photo)
- Jr. Boys Basketball team finished 2nd at the regional playoffs.
- Sr. Girls Basketball team is going to Zones in Prince George Thurs. Feb. 16-18. Winning team will represent the North Central Zone at Provincials in Langley March 1-4.
- Sr. Boys Basketball will be hosting 4A Boy’s Basketball Zones on February 24-25. Winning team will represent the North Central Zone at Provincials in Langley March 8-11.
- Jr. Boys and Girls Basketball teams have their last tournament of the season at St. Francis Xavier in Edmonton Feb. 16-18.
An informative and empowering learning opportunity for the parents of students in grades 9 – 11 is ready for the taking here at North Peace Secondary School. “Parents as Career Coaches” is a two-evening learning workshop series where parents learn valuable insights, strategies, and tools to help their youngsters journey down their career choice paths. This event is free of charge, happening Thursday, Feb. 23 and Thursday, March 9 from 6:30 to 9pm. Please register with Jodi Hickey at 250-785-4429, ext. 335.
For more information, including more details of the program and the bio of the guest presenter, please see the attached poster.
Here are some of the highlights from the weekend:
- Sr. Boys Basketball team won the Red and Gold Tournament at Glenmary High School in Peace River defeating E.W. Pratt 101-61. Tanner Sandberg was named the tournament MVP.
- Sr. Girls Basketball team won the Consolation Final at the Red and Gold tournament at Glenmary High School in Peace River defeating Grimshaw 89-17.
- Jr. Boys Basketball won the DCSS tournament defeating GP Composite 73-30 in the final.
- Jr. Girls Basketball won the DCSS tournament defeating Peace Wapiti 57-22 in the final.
This week’s schedule:
- Sr. Boys and Girls basketball teams will be in Edmonton at the Scona Classic Feb. 9-11.
- Jr. Boys and Girls basketball team will be playing at the Regional Playoffs hosted by Dr. Kearney – all games will be played at NPSS on Feb. 10-11.
Congratulations to all teams for representing your School and community while on the road!
In addition to the report cards that were sent out on Feb 1st, we have now published your child’s report card to your Parent Portal account. For those who have not accessed their accounts on the Parent Portal, a new email with instructions has been sent to assist parents logging in (sent from firstname.lastname@example.org) . If you did not receive it, please contact the office to ensure we have the correct email address on record.
The next NPSS PAC meeting will be Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 7pm in the Library. Everyone is welcome!